After ten years of emotional hardship our country is in desperate need of a change. I know we live in a society where seniority rules but obviously that hasn't worked out for us all that well. This seniority rules crap has only led us into recession and warfare. I believe it is time for a change! I believe that the young generations have more potential than people think, including themselves. The war in Afghanistan was not started by young adults but they are the ones who are pressured into fighting in combat. This situation is similar to Harry Potter's because he did not start the war against Voldemort and the Death Eaters but he was definitely pressured into fighting them and finishing the battle. My generation (ages 18-28) could learn from Harry and his struggle to overcome evil. We could use this relevant example to our advantage. I feel like my age group is looked at by the government as bodies to put in the army and nothing more. Harry Potter's generation is very relate-able to our own because that group of teenagers ended up being the main soldiers in the final battle. Younger generations have always been pushed around by older generations since the start of this country and I'm fed up with it. It wasn't until the 1970's when drafting was finally abolished. My generation has been abused for too long by this war in Afghanistan. I'm fed up with seeing thousands of 18-year-olds being shipped overseas to fight in a battle they never wanted to start. Harry Potter's generation also grew up in a time of war but they sadly accepted the war as part of life, similar to my generation. Psychologist Anna Freud claims in her book War and Children that "after three years of war the idea of fighting, killing, bombing, etc. had ceased to be surprising or extraordinary. The existence of these activities is now accepted by the children as an essential part of their picture of the world." It is so depressing to think that all these young children, not just from America but from Afghanistan too, are growing up to believe wars and massive killings are normal events in life. My generation is powerful enough to take a stand and refuse to continue this barbaric behavior. We shouldn't let the government control us as if we are mindless drones. Harry didn't let the Ministry of Magic control him because he was aware of their flaws in judgment. When the ministry became ignorant about Voldemort's return Harry didn't allow them to taint his beliefs, he kept true to himself and reality. We could learn from Harry's example by standing up for what we believe is right and wrong and what is acceptable and what isn't. I believe that this decade-long war is wrong and I'm sure that I'm not the only one that thinks so. I am taking my stand and declaring that someone needs to change our future drastically, and soon. And who would be better suited for the job than the future of America, my generation. Please help me spread the word about youth empowerment! We don't have to stand for this situation; we can make history by changing the future. If you would like to hear more about my views visit my twitter account: http://twitter.com/#!/YouthAgainstWar
No comments:
Post a Comment